Monday 21 December 2009

A Brief One Before Christmas

I’m not too sure if I will have the time to write again before Friday rolls around so thought I would post a quick update to wish everyone a Happy Christmas!! I will do that at the end though as I need to do a blast of writing first.

The Most Incredible Film I Have Ever Seen
Last Thursday night I made a trip to the cinema to see Avatar. I have been waiting for this film since early this year as it was the first film in 12 years by James Cameron. If you aren’t sure who James Cameron is try to remember films like Aliens, The Terminator and Terminator 2, True Lies, The Abyss and of course the highest grossing film in the history of cinema Titanic. They were all directed by him! That’s some list. I sat there in the cinema with the highest state of excitement about a movie I have had in a very very long time. The film started and Bam – you are immersed in a 3D world that makes you sit in pure awe. I will talk about the film as a film, the story etc. Put simply, Its is very good. I wouldn’t say the story amazing or truly original but it is more than adequate to keep your attention and make you want to know where things will go. The characters are all interesting, there didn’t seem to be one that you got bored of seeing which was a pleasant surprise. Once it had finished you didn’t sit there feeling like there were any loose ends or feel cheated in any way. I would say that even as a regular film this would have been very good indeed. However, this is no regular film. This is breakthrough technology in 3D and movie making. It is not the gimmicky 3D that makes things pop out and feel like they are right in front of you, it gives everything a true sense of depth, as if you are looking into a perfectly clear window. I read a review over the weekend and it said ‘I came out of the cinema actually having felt like I had visited Pandora and experienced a journey rather than seen it from afar’. This I can completely relate to as there were a number of occasions throughout the film where just for a split second I felt as if I was there before realising ‘don’t be silly this is a movie’. That’s the impression and feeling you get, its quite extraordinary while at the same time still being spectacular. The impression I have from people that are sceptical about seeing this film is that it is bundled into the Sci-Fi genre or just boxed in as a ‘looks like loads of fighting’ film. Yes it is Sci-Fi, there are aliens and it is on another planet but to judge it like that would be wrong, it is also a film about acceptance, growth, love and pride. In the same instance, this is not a movie with constant fights and battles. Yes there is about 20 mins where everything kicks off but with the way it is shot and in 3D you cannot help but sit with your mouth wide open and thinking WOW! For those of you who know me, I love my films, I have a massive collection and have seen quite a few in my time. Is it my favourite film of all time? No, it in fact has only made No. 3 on my list, The Green Mile and Good Will hunting take No’s 1 and 2 respectively. These 2 have been way ahead of my No 3 (The Shawshank Redemption) with nothing ever coming close to them. Until now…. This has joined the front runners that are miles in front of the rest. You may not think it is your type of film, you may not think you will like it, but I cannot stress enough how much you NEED to see this film, especially in a cinema. Not only will it surprise you by how incredible it looks, but for those of you who don’t normally enjoy that sort of film I think it will surprise you because you will really, really like it!

Merry Christmas
So…It is now only 4 days until the big day. Snow has fallen and hopefully it will stick around to give us all a proper white Christmas. I have bought the majority of my presents and started wrapping them last night, something I am useless at. To top it off I bought 6 rolls of wrapping paper that seems to be Sellotape proof!! How stupid is that, it doesn’t stick to it. Haha. Ah well.

So I hope everyone has a great day and the Fat Man brings you loads of pressies, lol. Im sure I will write before New Year but if I don’t –

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone…..ENJOY!

G

No comments:

Post a Comment